HorizonsUnlimited

The Motorcycle Adventure Travel information resource - The HUBB Bulletin Board, Community, monthly e-zine, all the information the motorcycle traveler needs.

Friday, September 16, 2011

Off we go.

So Tuesday morning and we’re packing to head off again from Remscheid. Packed up and got onto the Autobhan for the 30 min run into Koln, where we were to stop off for a quick bit of ‘pants’ shopping for Stephen.
The bike loaded.

The suspect at large.

But disaster, well not quite!! As we maneuvered the fully loaded XRV in and about the narrow two lanes where some road works were happening in stop-start-stop traffic. I managed to lose my footing and at zero Kmh the bike and us went over!!!!!  Bugger, I said as we slowly tipped over on to the tarmac…  ( I don’t quite remember the word as BUGGER?*^%#

Well we spent a few minutes picking up the beast and slipping and sliding on the spilt fuel coming out of the over flow pipe. We held up one lane for about 3-5 minutes I guess. But not one German would come over to help …..(there were many about…) The workmen were too busy pissing themselves with laughter and the car drivers were too cross or angry for being delayed I guess.



So once upright I pulled over to a small space to get myself rested and sorted out. Deb was on the back and we were chatting the entire time on the intercom. We got underway again, a short time (200m I guess) we rounded a bend to see a guy waving at me. So I waved back, but then Deb was saying that she thought he was the guy in the car beside us where we tipped over. SO (against my judgment) I pulled over into a parking space some way up. He came over and started to speak to me, and I responded in my best Aussie …

Confused a bit he went again but beckoned me back to his car, was pointing to a slight ding in his RHS (Drivers side) front mud guard (BMW older 7 series I think). Humm I thought, and I went back to talk to Deb, the lane was tight but I knew the bike had not hit anything but the roadway. So what happened? Deb said she cannot recall having her head hit the car, there are, no marks on her helmet & I don’t recall hitting the car either!
The 'Dudes' Car

A Dent.


We exchanged insurance and rego details (with photos of the car and dent). We then left to go shopping. With Bugger, bugger you and hip-hip Hooray we’re on our way …

Now it seems strange to me, why if he was sitting in the driver’s seat , he was in the left lane were in the right, with the traffic cleared in front of me, why did he not drive into my lane and put hazard lights on? Then get out to tell me his car got hurt ?  Instead he drove off some 250M up the road about several bends and stood beside the road waiting… Weird German I think.

Anyhow we’re now heading to our friends Udo and Dagmar (Geoff and Kenny have met them before it turns out!).  They live in a small country village near the Nurnberg race track (Eiffel Region). Which I think would be good for a visit and to ride on (if I can, Deb’s getting off!!).  We’d met Udo and Dagmar first at the Party for Werner’s brother and then later on at the MRT rally. Now we’ve got the offer of an overnight stay and dinner!!

The weather is fine and sunny, as we turn off the autobhan and head over some small ‘B’ roads up into the hills. Twisting and turning all the while up and down. This is real German country touring I think (and say) as Deb just tells me we’re “NOT IN A RACE!!”


But we are not going real fast or ‘crazy’ and I do take care. Got some ‘nice’ Drift HD170 video footage that I will post too.

See video of us on the bike in this link. (Sorry the Blogger editor does not like the YouTube Link).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUl123lkYP4


We arrived safe and sound at Udo and Dagmar’s place, he had a bike out the front as a ‘marker’ but the GPS did get us right to the door. Dinner, chatting and some new road programmed in to the GPS to explore tomorrow. Now  It’s off to bed in a loft… Tick that one off Deb.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd luv to hear your comments...